This year, instead of setting goals, I’ve decided to just do what I want to do. So instead of “Learn to Play 10 Songs on the Guitar,” everyday I’m picking up my guitar and practicing a few new things. Instead of “Have the Best Body of My Life,” I get out my yoga mat at some point during the day and spend a few minutes stretching. These simple daily steps are going to get me so much farther than I ever have with resolutions. They keep me accountable and excited to work towards being the person I want to be. I can’t wait to share my progress at the end of 2014!
It’s judgement day. In mid-January I gave myself a list of 14 things to do before the year was over. Did I or didn’t I?
Well. I did some. I thought about them a lot. Writing down goals and not finishing all of them does wonders for showing where your priorities lie. Here’s my update:
- Finish sewing maxi dress started three summers ago (fabric purchase documented here). My Mom broke the news that we had fudged the straps beyond repair. I believed her enough to not do anything about it, but I’m keeping all the pieces in hopes that I’ll come up with a clever solution.
- Complete first three levels of a French language program. Nay.
- Learn to play a song from start to finish on the guitar. Nay.
- Make first purchase for art collection. I made more of my own art. I hogged more of Konrad’s art. Does that count?
- Hang art in every room in house. I have designated pieces for certain rooms, but they currently lean against their walls.
- Harvest fruits, veggies, and flowers from garden. We opted to not go through the heartache of a failed garden this year. But! I did decide to start planting lots of perennials in the coming Spring, for an easy, pretty backyard.
- Read 12 books. I read 5 1/2 books.
- Set up server/storage system for home computers. I did this! At least. I setup an automatic backup system for my laptop. And it feels good.
- Practice each style from calligraphy book. I did more hand-lettering, but alas, I didn’t get through the book. I bought more calligraphy books though. 🙂
- Fill a notebook with paintings. It takes me so long to fill notebooks. Nay.
- Open Etsy store with digital goods. I am sooo close to doing this. I have files ready. Soon.
- Document life with more photos. I did this! YAY. More photos needed for 2015 infinity forever though.
- Direct short film. Does this count?
- Learn to Slide (made famous by Michael Jackson). Nay. But this is moving to the 2015 list for sure.
Obviously I didn’t do so well. Next year, right?
I’ve recently been working on my online web presence, and decided I needed a vanity url. My design work is located at rileymoorestudio.com, but I wanted something more generic to my personal brand, so I’ve just recently done up rileyemoore.com. The idea is to have a place where you can follow most of my online life, and I hope it will inspire me to keep up with all my social media accounts.
Now that I’ve wished you a happy 2013, proclaimed good intentions for my own 2013, and waxed poetic on the years to come, I think it’s time to put this beginning of the year charade to rest. But not before I make 14 resolutions to carry out by 2014. I hope to complete them throughout the year, and not in a jam-packed rush at the end. As I finish each one, the plan is to highlight the achievement in it’s own post, and update the list here. Wish me luck! And if you’re feeling ambitious, share your resolutions in the comments below. 🙂
- Finish sewing maxi dress started three summers ago (fabric purchase documented here).
- Complete first three levels of a French language program.
- Learn to play a song from start to finish on the guitar.
- Make first purchase for art collection.
- Hang art in every room in house.
- Harvest fruits, veggies, and flowers from garden.
- Read 12 books.
- Set up server/storage system for home computers.
- Practice each style from calligraphy book.
- Fill a notebook with paintings.
- Open Etsy store with digital goods.
- Document life with more photos.
- Direct short film.
- Learn to Slide (made famous by Michael Jackson).